The Holiday season has just begun. Pumpkin spice, turkey and dressing, and good ole pecan pie fill the table at family gatherings. This season, don’t let your eyes talk you into something you will regret. It is a time for family, fun, and food, but here are a few tips that will help keep your heart happy and your waistline savvy.
- Don’t skip your daily workout, keep your routine. Can't make it out of the house? Get a quick calorie-blaster workout in front of the oven while the turkey is roasting. If you know you may indulge in a bite of apple pie, it is always better to be prepared and know you worked it off before it counts!
- Make smart choices at the table. The appetizer table holds more calories than you might think. Pack a healthy snack and you probably will be less likely to take a regrettable dip in the cheese and crackers or spinach dip full of unhealthy fats and sodium.
- Portion Control. Instead of grabbing the six section plate grab the smaller one, and be sure to fill it with good choices. Try having a salad before the meat and potatoes are served, you will find yourself full and not wanting the gravy too!
- Don’t forget the H2O. Water fills you up. It also fires up your metabolism, flushes out wastes, and keeps skin and body hydrated. The more water you drink before a meal, the less you will want to finish your plate. You may not realize how many calories are in the egg nog and pumpkin spice latte. Try to stay away from the creamy based drinks and aim for the lighter version. Instead of chugging wasteful calories, chug water!
- Don't Stress. It gets busy; you have to be here and there. Make this dish and get that gift. Try to relax, enjoy the time, it flies by! Remember, your dish will be eaten and you will probably return home with the gift you brought for Dirty Santa, so make sure it is to your liking!
- Rest well. Get plenty of sleep! One could always use a good eight-hour night of peaceful sleeping. Try not to think about all the things that have to be done the next day. Pamper yourself and wind down with a nice at home facial (yes guys too) or a relaxing bath before bedtime. Calm your nerves, everything will be perfect!
- Smile and laugh a lot. The holidays are meant to be spent with family and friends. Time flies and Christmas, and the New Year will be here in a blink of an eye. Grab a few, enjoy their company and laugh more than ever. Some say laughter is the best calorie burner. So smile and be Merry!
Brookie Jones is a trainer with Camp Gladiator.